1st week of July

At the end of May/beginning of June we built 18 frames measuring 4'x24' each, and laid them all out in the recently rototilled garden we're calling Garden 1. These then had to be filled with top soil and compost. Everything always takes longer than I think it will, so my poor seedlings that I had planted in flats and raised in our basement with growlights since April were desperate to be planted out. By the middle of June, I finally had them all planted, but it took to this week to get the tomatoes staked up, cucumbers trellised, and insect netting over the broccoli and cabbage beds. Norman just finished laying down the irrigation tape today. So we got a bit behind schedule.

However, partly because of the rain we've been having and partly because their roots are settling in, everything is really starting to take off this week! The cabbages and broccoli are huge, and the tomatoes are flowering and already producing fruit, which is amazing considering what they looked like 2 weeks ago. The potatoes also seem to be growing an inch a day!

 Broccoli and lettuce in foreground, tomatoes in rear

Broccoli and lettuce in foreground, tomatoes in rear

 Broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower and cabbage

Broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower and cabbage